View Single Post
Old 2009-06-20, 23:37   Link #248
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
Not seeing concert footage in the PV should have been a tip off as to which side of the fence this one was going. That wasn't even a long PV. You saw a moe female with a guitar, knowing who buys KyoAni merchandise and thought that this was going to be a serious music title? In a recession?

Music wasn't an afterthought. You got 2 music videos (one being the ED animation), 1 insert song and 2 versions of one song in a 13 episode title. That's was pretty good. You also got all those instruments drawn very well in the title with one manufacturer (Fender) commenting about the show.

IIRC Beck didn't get that much attention from a manufacturer.

Using the metric thingy that they are talking about above, I saw the PV and immediately thought Linda Linda Linda when hearing that it's about high school girls and a music club.

No, I never, ever thought it was going to be a serious music show a la Beck, seems you seem to like comparing it to that. Knowing full well who Kyoani is and what they're capable of, I went into the show expecting comedy on the musical side of things along with a few concerts here and there. Like I mentioned before, I've always thought that episodes like five (Sawako's introduction) and eight (Freshman reception) are exactly the kind of unique and funny show it can be, and proved that it does know its potential. I was hoping for comedy that took advantage of the fact that it's about four girls in a band, but instead they decide to be just like every other generic slice of life out there, to the point of even having two nearly identical and mediocre beach episiodes.

When they did try to add some seriousness and drama, I welcomed it with open arms. Did it feel out of place and forced? Yes it did, hell we all know they could have done a lot better with it... some of us even wish they never existed it. I welcomed it because it was a nice change of pace for a show that was really dwindling at the time. I like the show, but I'm not going to deny that the goods parts are few and far between.