View Single Post
Old 2008-05-17, 06:49   Link #1
Mystique
Honyaku no Hime
*Fansubber

Location: In the eastern capital of the islands of the rising suns...
Talking Create your own Haiku!

So I kinda got inspired from the creative writing thread that's currently in the 'general' section, but whizzing through the thread, I realised that it's more for original or fan fiction, and the lengths are medium to long, so after searching the forums, I found there there isn't a haiku only thread per say, and seeing as it's quick and simple, decided to toss one up.

Basic rules are as follows:
Quote:
While English verse is typically characterized by meter, which counts "beats", Japanese verse instead typically counts sound units, known in Japanese as "on". The word On is often translated loosely (and somewhat inaccurately) as "syllables", but there are subtle differences between an "on" and a "syllable". The traditional haiku consisted of a pattern of 5, 7, and 5 on.
So for example off the top of my head, in english:

I like anime (i like a-ni-me)
Shounen is my favourite (shou-nen is my fa-vou-rite)
Do not like mecha (do not like me-cha)

As for a japanese one, well there are rules and themes to it, since it's their art, but I can't be arsed with that, so gonna toss a random one and try to make sense of it, let's see...

ike no naka (i-ke no na-ka)
kairu ga imasu (ka-i-ru ga i-ma-su)
kowai mono (ko-wa-i mo-no)

Roughly translates to:
In the middle of the pond
Is a frog
it's scary.

(and yes i just made that up in 5mins)

If we were to get real picky with english syllables, there's always dictionary.com to look up phonetic spelling, but you get the idea

Have a try and have fun ^^

Worrying is like a rocking chair. It gives you something to do, but it doesn't get you anywhere. - Van Wilder
"If you ain't laughin', you ain't livin'." - Carlos Mencia
Mystique is offline   Reply With Quote