View Single Post
Old 2014-12-13, 20:52   Link #152
Fizix
Nitpicking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dniv View Post
This is in response to an earlier post by Fizix calling Touma generic:

Sorry, I would like to step in briefly. Touma is my favorite fictional character so I'd like to clarify a few things.

First, let's agree that in order to demonstrate that a character follows a generic archetype you have to prove two things:

1. You need to prove that they have at least a few generic character traits.

2. You need to prove that they have few, if any, unique or rare character traits.

If you can't prove both of these things, then you can't demonstrate that said character follows a generic archetype.

TL;DR…
Response to Fizix
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

One other thing that I want to mention is that Touma has a lot of other aspects to his character which are largely NOT found in most works of fiction. So I'm not really sure I agree with you...?

I also believe that the Magic Side is written very well starting either with volume 13/20 or with NT volume 2, take your pick.

Edit:

I also agree with Fisix that Misaka has much more character development and worth than most people on this forum give her credit for. Even if many of her fans may appreciate her character for different reasons, it isn't false to say that she has a lot of meaningful character development.

And @Fisix: If you haven't read the Railgun Manga, I recommend you try doing that. It's like the Railgun Anime, but without the teen girls social drama dynamic that you criticize, and the second arc of Railgun S which many people on this side of the To aru threads, dislike. Also, what the manga shows about the relationship between them or whatever is very different from what the anime shows because that isn't really canon, while the manga is, and it is largely (or even completely) consistent with the Index novels/anime on those criteria.
I'm sorry but I never called Touma generic, I said he falls into a general archetype, and nothing you've said there disproves that he adheres to an archetype, those things are what make him an example of a good character in spite of adhering to it.

You've just listed his personality traits and reasonings. A character can be a good example of an archetype or adhere to a general archetype, either partly or entirely and still be good or interesting. It fails when they apply to it entirely without reasoning or personality.

Regarding the unique aspects, most characters have that.

Last edited by Fizix; 2014-12-13 at 22:52.
Fizix is offline   Reply With Quote