Thread: Licensed Strawberry Panic!
View Single Post
Old 2006-08-28, 00:56   Link #1100
Kuro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swann
Nagisa & Shizuma of course. The whole show is riding on that. That they love each other and only each other has been stated in almost every episode.

Tamao? Hmmm. I wouldn't find her a very interesting main character. They always potray her as the needy, kind, but uninteresting friend. She is great as a side character or even as a devise to get shizuma jealous but on her own - they haven't developed her character that much. Without Nagisa she has no life at all. Those two would be so boring as couple, Nagisa always looking at her wishing she was Shizuma.

Anyway, this isn't the first show of this type. There is always a Shizuma and there is always a Nagisa (and there is often a Tamao). Nagisa & Shizuma either end up together, Shizuma commits suicide, or Shizuma is lucked up in the luner shrine. As much I like Strawberry panic it isn't unique enough to break the mold. And to be honest I am glad; it's good to watch a sure thing.
Sadly, I must agree w/you. Tamao-chan really was a better support character than a lead one. That's not her fault though. It's the writers for not placing enough emphasis on her. But then again, Himeko and Chikane (Kannaduki no Miko) was on the same boat, but they did end up together. So, I don't think it's impossible.

What really irks me about Strawberry Panic was that everything IS riding on an inevitable Shizuma x Nagisa combo in tthe end. And that, unfortunately, makes it a lackluster anime. It's not bad by any means, but it definitely IMO, isn't worth watching more than once. I felt they could have done more for obstacles. It just seemed to me that even the Kaori incident really did little else but build on Shizuma x Nagisa. No present character (as in living) has ever really posed a threat to that pairing. Tamao-chan, MAYBE, in the scene in the pool and picnic, but even that fell short.
Kuro is offline   Reply With Quote