View Single Post
Old 2013-02-21, 13:44   Link #120
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I suppose it depends on how the employer is working with the illegal immigrant. I was under the impression that many illegal immigrants are essentially paid under the table and are not reported. The employer may be withholding some income from them by not paying them a fair rate, but they're pocketing what's withheld for themselves.

As to funding faculties (hospitals), I wasn't aware of taxes going into hospitals. It doesn't really matter if they do, because the trend is clear: it's not unusual for hospitals to have to close down, and in many cases the monetary losses incurred through the emergency department are to blame. Again I'll state that this isn't purely the fault of illegal immigrants, but they are a contributing factor.
Oh, where does the money come from then? The government doesn't give them money?

The point of an emergency department is to save lives, regardless of that person's value to society. The main reason it costs so much is that people are getting hurt, of which I would be considering ways to promote public safety over anything else.

Quote:
I wouldn't say that our healthcare system denies the poor care. We are obligated to provide emergency care to anyone and everyone, no questions asked. Compare this to Switzerland (or was it Sweden?), where there are a variety of health insurance coverage plans (including some very cheap bare-bones ones) but the hospitals are not obligated to do a thing for anyone who is uninsured. (Or so I hear from physicians here - anyone with greater familiarity with that system, please chime in.)
Well, I'm just going to let any European posters chime in on this issue. But, what does google give us?

As for providing emergency care, I'm just going to say that they will make you jump through all kinds of hoops and paperwork to get it if you're not immediately dying. Yes, I've seen people in the emergency ward get up and leave because they were made to wait for hours while absolutely no one gave a damn.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews

Last edited by Archon_Wing; 2013-02-21 at 13:54.