View Single Post
Old 2004-12-28, 19:53   Link #25
snoopy007
Opethhhhh

Send a message via AIM to snoopy007 Send a message via MSN to snoopy007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Animizzle
You'd better change the topic to 50.000+ fatalities.

Personally I think we can expect around 100.000, and that's not even counting the deaths that will follow through the diseases of the floating bodies and the lack of food in the disaster areas.

I did a random search on disaster since I was so shocked by the recent events and found out that this one is relatively not so bad.

I was shocked to see that the highest earthquake death toll in modern times
was caused by one that hit Tangshan, China, on July 28,1 976. The official figure of 655,237 deaths.

And 500 years ago, An earthquake that struck the Shaanxi, Shanxi, and Henan Provinces of China on February 2, 1556, is believed to have killed approximately 830,000

and that's just for EQs, the hurricane in bangladesh in 1970 killed around a million people.

Im not saying this one isn't bad since it has "few" fatalities in comparison to previous disasters. I basically learned that all kinds of terrible disasters happend that no mortal hand can stop. Certainly in these times it's almost akward that we have nobody to point fingers at. Only mother Nature.
I read on Yahoo! news that this was likely the most costly disaster ever, though I'm not so sure about the credibility of that.
snoopy007 is offline   Reply With Quote