View Single Post
Old 2010-05-12, 03:54   Link #3464
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnab View Post
Although the Predetermined Events are written many times with infallible accuracies, I have the feeling that Tanigawa will eventually write out of one. Because there's something inherently tragic about fate/preordained-future/one-track-time, and Haruhi isn't that tone of book. {It worked well for Evangelion; the Dead Sea Scroll kind of made that series all the bit more depressing.}

But I do agree that the Present is the Past for the Future, and Mikuru is their agent because her history book says so. [Imagine her time domain's elder shaking his head; their entire existence depends on this air head and not, say, James Bond.]
As I have repeatedly suggested in this forum over the last few years, I strongly believe at least one of the enemy factions from the future decided they are willing to risk annihilation than to allow time travel to exist. Consider the true origins of time travel, it makes perfect sense to me why the anti-SOS-dan is doing something to the benefit of that goal.

I do sympathise with them. But I will not agree with their methods. There are better ways.

p.s. Haruhi is immune from pre-destined futures. We know that, because she has at least changed the future once (then changed it back), at the end of the Melancholy arc. There is also the interesting situation in Endless Eight where multiple versions of the same summer holiday occurred, each with variations.

The future can be changed. Mikuru certainly believes that. They put a lot of safeguards to prevent such a possibility from occurring. But as someone from the future, she views it as a horrible thing instead of a hopeful one. It's as the Disappearance Itsuki said; if he is in an altered world, he is worried about what happens to him when the world is "fixed".

It is not so bad when you know an alternate "you" still exist in the world after a change takes place. But what if you live far in the future? Where for all intent and purposes, there is no chance of you being born at all if the past changes? That's a legitimate complaint. And one with no easy answers.