View Single Post
Old 2007-07-30, 09:02   Link #7
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
Sei's relationship with Shiori is unquestionably shoujo-ai, but it is true that many other relationships in the series are difficult to define.
All these anime terms are kind of slippery and often ill-defined, but I think of all the sœur relationships as shoujo-ai. I don't think anyone can deny that Yumi loves Sachiko, and Sachiko loves Yumi. Same with all the other sœurs. I would even say that there are romantic overtones to many their relationships, but just no overt sexual aspects to any of them.

On the other hand, I would actually define the Sei/Shiori relationship as yuri, as there was a definite physical attraction between the two of them, even if it was never "consumated". Likewise the feelings between Sei and Shizuka struck me as yuri, although that was never more than a "might have been" relationship.

Quote:
I think there's an element in Marimite of 'blossoming' sexuality, if you will, and while this isn't blatant in the slightest there is a certain underlying tension, particularly regarding Yumi's feelings towards Sachiko
I think this is something that the original writers of the stories deliberatly left vague, so that the reader/viewer could see what they wanted in each relationship. The yuri fans could see a potential for an eventual physical relationship, based on these little hints, while people not interested in that could still see the relationship as purely spiritual ones.