View Single Post
Old 2012-10-29, 06:16   Link #31031
Wanderer
Goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
If that was the case, the relationship would've been portrayed the other way around. It's very important and very CONSISTENT that Jessica is always proactive in pursuing the relationship.

Ryukishi, for all his faults, portrays things the way he does for a reason. He even stated in an interview not to doubt the relationships he portrays, considering it 'a cruel trap'. Jessica loves Kanon. We are not to doubt this. Whether Jessica knows Kanon is Yasu, whether or not they ever dated, and other details like that are debatable, but not this.
Is it OK to doubt the relationship in Prime, yet believe it on the gameboard?

I mean, calling it 'a cruel trap' to doubt them seems like telling us the relationships are real.

One thing that always struck me is the differences regarding the romances between Legacy and Turn. In Legacy Shannon hesitates to accept George's ring, but in Turn she takes it so fast George is surprised. And in Legacy there's nothing between Kanon and Jessica, yet in Turn it suggests they're starting to develop feelings for each other. The bonds of each respective relationship seem to generally strengthen in every subsequent story, End notwithstanding.

Basically, the relationships seem like an embellishment, built on a metafictional history. Certainly there was something there in Prime to begin with, but I think a lot of their stronger feelings are exaggerated. Especially when it comes to Jessica and George, since we only get to see Yasu's take on them. Jessica most of all, since at least in George's case we have some more solid history between him and Shannon; for Jessica all we have is the school festival.

Last edited by Wanderer; 2012-10-29 at 22:18.
Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote