View Single Post
Old 2009-08-26, 01:38   Link #19
qwertyman
Izumi is the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Pinning this on J.C.Staff would be completely off in this case. The problem lies with the source, not the execution. At least J.C.Staff managed the main storyline and romance part very well, with a truthful conversion. The same can NOT be said about SynergySP.
I'm going to have to disagree. While it's nice and all that J.C. Staff feels that it'd be better to go "safe" and just do a 1 : 1 conversion, I like how SynergySP took more liberty with their adaptation. I'm just watching episode 9 of the first season to refresh my memory, and there are quite a few lines, movements, etc, that aren't present in the manga as well as a few lines here and there that are omitted. It makes the anime feel much more smoother.

As an easy example to spot; in the anime, they show Hina slapping Hayate after he rescues her from the mannequin (again, episode 9). In the manga, they don't show anything, it zooms out to nothing and just has a loud slap sound effect. Showing the slap made the scene better since it showed exactly how frustrated Hina really was (which you didn't get in the manga). Also, camera angles were altered, as well as how Hina jumps into Hayate's arms. Again, these changes made the scene much better.

While it's obviously not fair to say that J.C. Staff wouldn't do something like that, it just goes to show that going 1 : 1 is not always so good, and liberties should be taken.

Compare these two:

Spoiler for image size:

I have to say the anime does it better.

Yes, I also disliked how the first season went on and on and didn't accomplish anything, but it also was the consequence of different target audiences and different airing times. I'm sure if the first season wasn't made to pander to little kids (if that's what the aim was, I'm not even sure), and was instead scheduled to air at a time similar to season 2's release, we would've had an anime that followed the manga more closely in terms of plot/direction. Or at least, I'd hope so.

(man I edit too much)

Last edited by qwertyman; 2009-08-26 at 01:54.