View Single Post
Old 2009-06-21, 12:19   Link #12
Tamad
デゲソ!! ( ・_・)ノ

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireChick View Post
What I'm saying is, anime is about creating entertainment for everyone to enjoy in a good way, NOT about fan-service, moe, lolicon, and fetishes! I know this is gonna cause a LOT of controversy, but say what you want. I'm just expressing my opinion.
But if the fanservice, moe, lolicon, and fetish side of anime has done well enough to establish itself as a stand alone genre, don't you think it has been entertaining a good amount of people to a certain extent? Entertainment varies from person to person, if if you don't like a certain type of genre, plenty of others will. Fanservice is something that's going to exist in not all but anime, simply because it's what caters to the quite perverted nature of otakus these days. It's what brings in the dough, just as orion says. Fanservice sells.

It's similar to the situation regarding the video game industry right now. What do people expect from video games? Something with a great story, fun gameplay, good characters, and what not. Problem is the industry is currently filled to the brim with carnival themed games and mini-game collections. Why? Because it's what sells, even more than the actual quality games, sad as that may be. It's a whole different genre of video games that caters to a completely different audience in which I'm not a part of, but I don't believe they should dumb down on making them, because it could also quite easily be ignored. So by your line of thinking, this can also be seen as video games introducing people and making video games popular in the wrong way.

I can see where you're coming from, but I also don't agree. You just have to look for the needle in the haystack, as there are still plenty of great shows out there for you to watch and would cater to your interests. Sure, you're going to get a Queen's Blade every season or so, but did you shove that aside and see Higashi no Eden hiding right behind it? You can kindly let Queen's Blade air for those who enjoy that kind of stuff, while you yourself can watch something well crafted and highly story driven like Higashi no Eden. Just as an fyi, even something like Higashi no Eden has a tint of fanservice.

Yes, you're not going to find a diamond in the rough every season. That's just how it goes, people are afraid to take risks, and they rather stick to something that they know will sell.