View Single Post
Old 2013-01-28, 17:17   Link #128
Qilin
Romanticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarinus View Post
It's not a backup system, it's a whole system that the viewer can believe. Our group already deals daily with situations that cannot be perceived by Sybil. No scanners, scanner manipulating, immune to scanning etc. When they insist on failing just because they refuse cold hard facts, the show loses all its seriousness and I feel like I'm watching Demolition Man with No Sly and just Wesley Snipes as Makishima. They should go raid a museum or something and grab a Colt Peacemaker! That wouldn't do more damage to people's belief in the system than Makishima is doing on a daily basis already.
I'm not sure what you mean when you talk about everyday incidents that "cannot be perceived by Sybil" since Makishima is clearly presented as an unprecedented anomaly in the system. On the contrary, Makishima hasn't done much to shake the average person's faith in the system. He's simply using that very faith as a tool for him to do whatever he wants. The illusion that most go by only shatters once the assumption of personal security is disputed. Aside from that, they remain utterly desensitized of the affairs of other people as long as it doesn't threaten their safety. Sybil is an important component of the perceived safety.

The thing about using a real gun is that it's no different from giving up on the system, and very few people want to make that leap. Especially in a society where the majority grew up under the influence and guidance of Sybil, many can no longer imagine life without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarinus View Post
It's not abandoning at all. It's like acting as if he's out of coverage somehow. How does the police handle situations in remote places from big cities anyway? How do they solve a case when some guy murders people in the forest? Too many holes in the system that would be worked around by the government if this system could work in the first place.
To take matters into your own hands, while ignoring Sybil's judgment, is practically abandoning the system right there and then, regardless of how ostensibly stupid such a judgment might be. I've already noted the consequences of abandoning the system. Now you may understand how some people choose to stay on a sinking ship if the alternative is swimming in the ice-cold water below. This is somewhat similar.

I'm curious though, how would such remote incidents even serve as a gap in the system in the first place? All they have to do is point their Dominators at random people until they find someone with a high crime coefficient.