View Single Post
Old 2013-01-29, 10:41   Link #138
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramarinus View Post
The thing is that there are so many people out there that's already deadened with no Sybil to talk of, so that examples like the ones I wrote above can happen. When there's such facts, I find it highly contradictory to see this many people on the Net that act like anyone could tackle a psychopath with a hammer and just shift all blame to a fictitious plot element.
A normal crowd doesn't show zero reaction, not even any physiological signs even if there is bystander effect. They may not move to aid or even call for aid but not even exhibiting any physical sign of reaction is not usual. That's what I meant by "deadened." It's far more extreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I'm not saying the current Sibyl system is "ideal". However, I don't see how it's "obviously flawed" when the only actual flaw that can be called an actual flaw happened two episodes ago, with no one knowing about it beforehand.
Do you consider executing people on the say so of a "lifeless object" as you say, a part of the system? Is Sibyl even a "lifeless object?" It would be nothing without the people that run and enable it. Ultimately humans are responsible for this system.

To change it would require such drastic changes to its use, the cymatic scan is just reduced to a mere tool, the way polygraphs are today

Quote:
After watching this episode, I just had to ask myself if I saw something as gruesome as someone getting killed in the middle of the road with a hammer, would I have stopped to intervene in anyway? The answer is: no, I probably wouldn't have stopped. I would be fearful for my own safety. I would have called the police, but it still probably wouldn't be enough considering the person who is dying would benefit the most with an immediate intervention. The conundrum here is am I a bad person if my failure to take immediate action cost someone his/her life because I fear for my own safety? Regardless of whatever I decide to do, whether I'm driving away or stopping to help, I am making a choice. I would have made that choice after fully understanding the situation that was unfolding before my eyes.
An entirely understandable response. Although honestly speaking if the attacker were busy stripping and bashing the victim while crouched on top unaware of the crowd like in that scene, one could conceivably charge up and get a good kick in to the neck. It's a more helpless situation if it were a guy standing and running around with a knife or something

Last edited by Cosmic Eagle; 2013-01-29 at 11:14.