Thread: Licensed Ano Natsu de Matteru
View Single Post
Old 2012-03-27, 03:24   Link #1017
Saturn Beaver
Home of Silent Prayer

Send a message via MSN to Saturn Beaver
I've already mentioned before that for me the main appeal of this show is the romance aspect, particularly the Kanna-Mio-Tetsurou triangle, and that I don't care much about Kaito-Ichika romance or the alien subplot that they bring. As such, the peak is already at ep 10 and the last two ep is just tying up loose ends, but even then I think they already resolved thing pretty well.

For instance, the MIB. The way I see it, they use MIB as a general meaning of the word and not the movie version (though one shot seems pretty similar). That is, the idea of a secret organization investigating hidden mysteries/conspiracies that the general public doesn't even has an idea exists. After all, Remon seems pretty high-ranking to have a car and subordinates, yet she says Ichika is the first Alien she saw. So I think the organization is just found to search and investigate conspiracies like Roswell or Crop Circles, whether they're true or a hoax, but so far haven't found anything yet.

However, looking at the blueprints of the ship it seems that a few years down the line they have managed to find and reverse-engineer (probably with Rinon's help? How come he can do a special visit?) the ship. Remember, having previous alien contact is just one criteria, the other is for human to develop interstellar travel - it seems that they have succeeded already, making them not Rank F anymore and consequently allowing Ichika to visit back.

As for closure, the only thing I complain is on the triangle, sure I said that I don't mind who ends up with who as we has already saw great developments for the character anyway, but if they put them in an epilogue I kinda want to see something more substantial than being back to square one. No complaints on Ichika-Kaito front though, sure they can be clearer but I think they did enough, enough clues to piece out what happened instead of being spoonfed.

I think using the film as the method instead of showing it directly is a good touch as well. After all, it's clear that the theme of the anime overall is memories (of that summer), and through Kaito's monologue at the end it's that to be able to be preserved forever, we must pass it on to other people as well. Therefore the film is a good thing to show that to the next generation, Ichika wearing the poncho is clear enough sign that yes, she has somehow landed safely, met Kaito and got his gifts. Again, this may be because I'm not that emotionally invested in their story, so skipping the reunion (as it's really obvious how it will happen anyway) is something that I appreciate.