View Single Post
Old 2013-02-25, 04:40   Link #60
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
Okay, I am preparing for an interview tomorrow morning, and I just realised that I have always flunked in one question, namely "Tell me about yourself".

Can anyone offer tips on this, for someone who is a "drifter" and works from contract to contract, ad-hoc to ad-hoc with absolutely no way to take any reference letters?
The others have given you bad advice here. This is an opportunity to sell yourself. Just sum up all your strengths, and give a short summary of your life up to this point (accentuate the positive!).

This is actually a very good question to be asked, as you can pretty much say whatever you want. Just repeat the points you highlighted in your cover letter/CV.

It goes without saying that you should avoid saying anything negative (about yourself, or others).

Don't bother to talk about non-work related stuff. Why would they be interested?

As for your abundance of contract work, just say something along the lines of "I have a lot of experience of working short term contracts, but I'm hoping to be able secure a more long term 'permanent' contract", if you're afraid your potential employer won't like it (then again, contract work is better then no work, shows you're flexible and willing to work, even imperfect arrangements...).
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote