View Single Post
Old 2011-05-09, 04:25   Link #1224
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
May i ask , what are the first two kanjis here? And is it normal to address your loved ones who passed away using that line (well change the okaasan, of course)?

"前略(Zenryaku)" is a tough one to explain if you have no knowledge on how formal letter are structured in Japanese.
Basically in a letter you start with "拝啓(haikei)" roughly meaning Dear Sir(madam) and then there is a cordial honorary paragraph asking how you are doing in when ever season the letter is written and if it is a business letter how well their business is booming before going into the actual content.

Writing "前略" means the writer will neglect all the cordial honorary formality within this letter and is used only to people who you are very close like blood relatives and only when they are really in a hurry.

The closing of the letter changes as well, when using "拝啓" it ends with "敬具", when starting with "前略" it ends with "草々".

FYI this formality is still commonly used and it is a must in writing business letters.

As for "天国の・・・" I really do not know since I have not written any letters to heaven.(Don't have a clue of the zip code.)
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote