View Single Post
Old 2011-06-15, 17:06   Link #7
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I tried watching them a while back, but after 2 or 3 I realised they all felt the same.

They were either romance/drama related, or work related. The romance/drama was all overly artificial, usually built on incredibly unlikely premises, while also taking itself perhaps a bit too seriously. The work related ones (like detective etc.) had too much "dramatic passion" whereby the lead makes these dramatic impassioned speeches to the people they come in contact with, and they're inspired. It was good the first time, and maybe even the second or third time, but the pattern gets old. Saw it a lot in shows like GTO and it's copycats.

It's possible that there are good drama I'm not exposed to, but as it is currently the english fanbase for them skews heavily towards those types of vehicles. In my experience while there's a lot of good japanese cinema, that quality doesn't usually extend into the televised domain. As I said though, a lot of it is down to my own tastes not gelling with the drama fandom. Anime fandom is quite balanced, if nerdy, while drama fandom is much more heavily skewed towards women. Often shows are popular just because they have a hawt male lead like Takuya Shimura. In my experience K-Drama has a bit more subtelty, but has similiar problems. Unusually though, I enjoy Anime drama and only rarely j-drama. The acting feels better, for some wierd reason.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote