View Single Post
Old 2012-09-24, 01:54   Link #170
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakshasa View Post
There is no reference to how the two felt, only how he felt when writing about the situation. Also embarrassed is a perfectly reasonable translation, since this was an internal emotion rather than description of how someone acts.
He didn't have to refer to the two directly since he was describing their bashful teretere kind of embarrassment, not the hazukashii kind of ashamed embarrassment. They may be the same in an English dictionary, but my impression is that the Japanese words do not refer to the same emotions.

I felt as if the English "very embarrassed" might give the wrong impression to an English-speaker reading it. It seemed to me that the writer was implying a feeling of bashfulness in sympathy with our two heroes, not personal embarrassment. The use of the word "embarrassed" might imply to an English reader that he was ashamed of what he was doing, and I didn't think that was what he meant. 1. Am I making myself clear? 2. Might this make sense?
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.