View Single Post
Old 2010-05-19, 06:54   Link #3722
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agito Akiyama View Post
General Chat is kinda off topic, after all it's not talking about Anime and such, and I asked this here because it's just a small question... BTW, it's really "personal" stuff, but more like threads about different interesting stuff, it seems the General Chat forum is too strict, IMO.
And precisely, General is used as a broad term to anything not "directly" related to Anime. Not exhaustive, but things like economy, etc are simply in there. That doesn't mean that it should be "talk about anything you want".
Forums are usually used as a place to "discuss" about "topics" at hand, which can involve every reader in a way or another.

By this definition, we aren't fancying stuff like "what have you done today" and the likes: not only it is often one sided, but when it is shared by several people, either it turns into a messy chat derailing the topic even further, or like komari said: flame war and whatever you call.

Unless I'm interpreting the admins' opinions in the wrong way, AS forums are used for "meaningful" topics, as in: a subject that has a meaning to be read and that provides equally or relatively meaningful answers. Random and personal stuff are a "no no", because it simply doesn't fuel any proper discussion, resulting to a bunch of posts that can be mistaken for "a blog article, and comments below".
In fact, it seems visitor messages or blogs are much more appropriate to give that kind of content a shot.

And speaking of the forums being strict, I disagree as it seriously prevents ridiculous situations or downright nonsensical random insanity..
The fine line was set in stone from the very beginning. While I may be a bit blunt, I believe this should be reminded (that is applied to anywhere else... well "should" be applied):
if you don't like this part of the forums, you will have to deal with it, or look something more suitable to your tastes. Why, for it, you are the only one who makes a choice here, we do not force people to stay or leave either way (well, ban hammer, and slav-... moderators aside ).

Last edited by Klashikari; 2010-05-19 at 07:10.
Klashikari is offline   Reply With Quote