View Single Post
Old 2011-07-14, 01:13   Link #67
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabaku Kyu View Post
I have no problem with people saying that they're disappointed because the lack of content made the chapter seem too short. That's an opinion and it's fine. I just can't understand how stating the time it takes you to read a chapter proves anything. It's almost as if people believe attaching some kind of number makes it fact.

The idea that people are comparing how long it takes them to read Bleach to how long it takes them to read other manga is flawed because perception of how time passes easily changes depending on what you're doing. Saying the time it "felt" like means nothing unless you're actually timing how long it takes you to read. And if you're timing yourself, that probably means you're already trying to prove a point, in which case more likely than not, the results will match what you've already convinced yourself the case should be. Whether they realize it or not, simply believing the idea that "Bleach chapters are always too short" is enough to cause most people to change their reading pace to support that fact.
People are probably actually timing themselves considering pretty much all comupters would have the time on the taskbar at the bottom of the screen. And it does make for a good indicator. Not perfect but I'm sure it's not the only indicator people use as well. The idea that demand characteristics would occur when timing is also possible but not neccessarily true either, especially if they know that it can happen. It's also just as possible that there was no bias either.

In any case these...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiisai Kuma View Post
new chpt has been out for the last hour. *is squeelng in delight as is reading it right now*
*5 min later*........ i hate you kubo. ¬_¬
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murasaki View Post
Same here, I read the chapter in like 1 minute.
...do not strike me as some sort of attempt to prove anything. They strike me as general observations that they know they've made.