View Single Post
Old 2012-09-07, 12:48   Link #243
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Once again, I fail to see how Dems have hardened. They have become Republicans of old; doesn't that mean the exact opposite from hardening? Dems became like their old enemies while their enemies went insane.
Now.. I'm Canadian, but having followed and heard the speeches of both conventions, it floors me how polarized politics have become in North America, not just the U.S. The Democrats, despite all their "loving" "peaceful" "conciliatory" words display outright a sense of "smug intellectual superiority" .. despite all the GOP gaffes.. don't forget the controversy about the Dems comparing Romney/Ryan to Nazis.

Personally? I'm fiscally conservative and socially liberal, so would fall to the right-end of the Dems and just shy of the most left-leaning Republicans.. But I'm shocked at how both parties seem to driven by some of its most extreme elements!

GOP - I am absolutely floored by Michelle Bachmann and the sway that the Tea Party has.. it's absolutely shocking. Outright incorrect beliefs regarding the foundation and formation of the U.S. and anti-science/anti-knowledge fundamentalism is scary.. The fact that Santorum, Herman Cain and others actually were even remotely considered for the Republican ballot is absolutely horrifying.

Dems - As a Canadian, I'm proud of our Universal Healthcare system, but it's not without its problems.. I'm not sure it'll work based on the differing societal values prevalent in the U.S. - any belief otherwise is just foolhardy. Smug intellectual superiority doesn't help things either.. Most green power plans are a pipe-dream, nuclear is likely the only way to go in the future..

Politics are getting polarized around the world.. which is sad - because that means globally tolerance and reason is being suppressed by emotions.. Even here in Canada, the "strongest" parties now are the Right and Left parties - with the historical leading party, the moderate Liberals, being left by the wayside..