View Single Post
Old 2009-12-30, 17:45   Link #1814
DJ Trouble
Pajama Party!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLGChaos View Post
For me, I tend to believe the former over the latter due to her personality. She's shown herself to be dominating, tyrannical and hypocritical, so it kind of makes the whole "I live for others" thing feel like a cover-up. We do get a few moments where she does act like a friend, like when Unzen hurt everyone, but those are mostly overshadowed by the other moments.
When she says she lives for others, the only thing you have to look at are her actions. As the Student Council President, she's constantly going around helping whoever she can. Her personality has nothing to do with that.

Quote:
True, some of this comes from the fact that I'm not a fan of Medaka, but the same can be said of the opposite-- if you like her, then you'll see her good side more. It's all just opinions and the truth is, we don't actually know how Medaka thinks because she's the ONLY person in the manga (besides Shiranui) whose head we don't get to see inside, so we can only go off of her actions and the way others around her view her. People tend to worship her in the manga and that type of thing turns people off, even if it is something she dislikes, she never does anything to stop it and by saying that she lives for others, she actually seems to be encouraging it.
No, that doesn't work, because the people that hate her never give her credit for her good points. I have no problem acknowledging her bad qualities along with her good ones. I haven't read too many posts that would make me think others can do the same.

Quote:
She may be showing concern for her friends when she doesn't want them to fight, but she's also showing that she doesn't believe in them, either. What she doesn't seem to realize (or maybe she does) is that she's also holding them back when she does this.
Her believing in them has nothing to do with anything. You also can't say she doesn't believe in them just because she would rather fight in their place. If they fight, they're probably going to get hurt. Win or lose, they will undoubtedly get hurt, or worse, and that's something she wants to avoid.

Quote:
Oh, and there is one example of her being petty and attention-needing. The painting chapter. She was upset that Shiranui was more prominent in the foreground than she was.
What's your point? That entire chapter Medaka's pride was being crushed, along with the other girls, because the artist couldn't use them as a model. And we've always known Medaka loves to show off. That was made clear the first time she was stripping in front of Zen like it was no big deal and at the start of the chapter when she readily agrees to model. After being told she was going to be a model, and then getting kicked to the curb for some loli glutton, of course she would want to at least not be overshadowed like in the crowd picture she was talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
Putting pressure on Zen in order to recruit him for the student council is not something you do out of friendship. She is aware of Zen's feelings and yet she manipulates him with her *cute* facial expressions. She's wrapping him around her finger and gets annoyed in situations where she can't dominate, especially where she feels that Shiranui is getting involved too much.
I'm honestly not even sure if we're reading the same manga. Has Medaka ever used a cute facial expression to get Zen to do something? Being annoyed at not being able to dominate, is that directed at Zen or just not dominating in general? When was Shiranui ever involved too much? And what annoyance did she show because of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lummie View Post
I say it again, Medaka doesn't value her friendship with Zen. When that artist kid drew a group picture representing the Student council and fellow students, she never pointed how she thought about this *friends* picture, no... she complained about why she didn't stand out more then Shiranui. C'mon, this is not something Medaka should say when she claims to be born for others. Her reaction even surprised Zen who didn't expect her to react like that. This is clearly someone who wants people's attention and doesn't view others at her level or appreciates other people's thoughts (in this case, the artist's).
I'm not sure how much deep insight and appreciation you expected when the picture wasn't introduced until there was only half a page of the chapter left . . . Zen wasn't surprised. He was annoyed. He wanted her to cheer up, not start pouting over a minor, though legitimate, detail.
DJ Trouble is offline   Reply With Quote