View Single Post
Old 2012-11-03, 23:54   Link #77
The Green One

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well, it's true that the author didn't have to put her in this situation in the first place. Given that she was placed in this situation, she's probably handling it as well as you might expect. But I think the argument is that the author should have told a different story with the characters instead of this kind of story. Part of this is because it employs old stereotypes that some people find annoying/tiresome. So you're right that people's opinions won't change, because the problem is that they don't like the plot development as a broad concept, independent of whether there's any in-story logic that explains it.
Fair enough, but what the complainers fail to explain is how to tell a coherent story with this since without Asuna's captivity, Sogou no longer has a direct way to get ahold of Asuna's father's comapny, Kirito would have no reason to go to the new game and no one would find out about the SAO survivor captives until it's too late and the entire story would require an extensive if not total rewrite.

I can totally respect the dislike of the distressed damsel trope. What irritates me is the blatant distortion of facts, motivations, and the story itself of complaints. In my own personal opinion, if one is going to complain about something, at least have a sound argument.

I'll freely admit that the tropes displayed here are hardly the most original thing in the world, but are we so bound up in nitpicking, tropes, and personal character preferences that we can't enjoy a story we've stuck with for one and a half seasons?

Obviously the answer is yes if we're having this conversation. Maybe I'm just too easy going with my anime shows but people seem to be getting way too bent out of shape over this.
The Green One is offline   Reply With Quote