View Single Post
Old 2013-08-04, 16:30   Link #9470
Mentar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmac View Post
Nonsense. At the beginning of the manga, Nagi had no friends except Isumi and Sakuya, spent money like water, could barely be coaxed outside the mansion, was getting into constant tsunder-ish misunderstandings with Hayate, basically never went to school and was incapable of working hard or taking constructive criticism of her manga.
Most of her friends weren't won by herself, but by association with Hayate. She STILL needs to be coaxed out of the mansion, she DID go to school before (though less regularly, it seems), and she is still incapable of working hard. Her manga skills had not improved either - with the exception of the deus ex machina revelation of the second latest chapter which was not prompted by anything but "the author wills it so".

Quote:
Now she runs an apartment house for a boatload of girls she's good friends and frequently does stuff with, knows how to live on a budget, understands Hayate like no one else, (See the "you did it again, didn't you?" chapter) expresses herself to him freely (See, for instance, her little sitdown and talk with him about the Ruka situation.) and basically fights with him never while Hina is still punching and running.
She doesn't run _zip_ (Maria and Hayate do that), she still has no clue about a budget - just doesn't have unlimited funds anymore - and every single girl in the story in a position to help Hayate had "you did it again, didn't you" chapters, too.

Quote:
Yes, she's still a NEET and still backslides frequently for comedic purposes but claiming she's had zero character growth is absurd. Character growth and becoming a completely different person are not the same thing.
Excuse me. If you seriously see her wanton actions in the manga arc as _growth_, be my guest. The way I see it, she did exactly the same she has always done: Flailing around pointlessly, making huge boastful declarations and then realizing her inability to make good on them.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm not mad at Nagi, I'm mad at Hata. What he is doing is BS, in my opinion. Yes, every once in a while, Nagi does something which could possibly be construed as "progress", or "growth". And then, 1-2 chapters later, he undoes it again by making Nagi relapse into the same old silly naive childish NEET behavior to score another cheap joke. No consistency. No lasting development. Just a rehash of the same jokes.

I guess Anh_Minh may be right. This story isn't about romance or development after all, it's about the unwavering loyalty of Hayate towards Nagi. Fine then. That simplifies my emotional disattachment. Ask yourself how your interest in this show over the course of the last 150 chapters has developed (that's since Greece). If you can honestly claim that it hasn't significantly waned since them - congrats.
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote