View Single Post
Old 2007-08-11, 12:15   Link #1061
RoryTate
Circle Researcher

You're right, xVxObliVioNxVx, that fourth one is very important. Strange that the "evil" side should take on such significance, but Claymore has spent a fair bit of time to establish Riful and Dauph, while Easley and (current) Priscilla look to get similar treatment next episode. I'm certainly looking forward to a "clash of the titans" as those two forces meet, and I do believe a Riful x Easley battle will occur at some point.

However, I have to ask...how long will this AO war last? As Riful stated, AOs do not naturally fight each other, so I think that any shift in the balance of power will change the nature of this war significantly. As such, I don't see it lasting the entire series. AOs so far seem focused on simply survival and territory, without any loftier goals. However, once Easley's true motivations become clear, this will be easier to judge.

I might term this "The Politics of Power" to give it a broader and more lasting name...for example:

- a strong Claymore organization force appears, and the AOs have to join forces in fighting their more natural enemies
- the rogue/sacrificial Claymores struggle just to survive amidst the chaos of a strong org Claymores vs Easley vs Riful "battle royale"
- a new, strong humanity/rogue Claymore alliance rises, causing the org Claymores and AOs to temporarily join forces, to maintain the "status quo" they are familiar with (this could be a rather interesting turn of events, and really clarify just how "evil" the organization actually is)

There are lots of directions this could take, wherein the AO war is only a precursor to the true struggle for power.

That reminds me...one thing I enjoy is that power in the Claymore world is not necessarily brute strength, or amount of youki. Power is based equally around knowledge (learning the history of male AOs, new understandings of awakening and youki control, etc) and cooperation/teamwork between people/groups.

The more I think about it, the more I realize that Claymore is very intelligent and deep storytelling.
RoryTate is offline   Reply With Quote