View Single Post
Old 2012-10-15, 03:04   Link #2550
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
...but surely for a 'normal' Japanese person (ie, Kirito) they aren't be involved in rape-related cases a lot of the time unless they're a counselor or something...
Or the world/Japan really do suck that bad and I'm one of the lucky/ignorant ones that doesn't know that.
You(and many people tbh) greatly underestimate the rate of sexual assaults in the world. For example, one in four, that's 25% of women in the US are victims of sexual assaults or attempted sexual assaults by the time they're in college.

This is not even taking into account of how many cases goes unreported, which is significant, especially in cases of rape.

Now take Japan, which on the surface appear to have a much lower reported rate, but it's just a sham as the social stigma and unsympathetic criminal justice system, and a culture that's still predominately patriarchal, means that even fewer victims bothers to report due to the futility and fear of reprisal.

Now it's not as bad as some middle eastern countries where the rape victims actually get executed for being raped, but there's still very much a blame-the-victim mentality there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
^
erm yeah... about that... don't you find it abit weird that you're okay with murder and torture when they are all equally horrific things?
No kidding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flere821 View Post
Both death and pain is something that's mostly only physical, but rape can impact the mind more given the Western context/setting (that I was brought up in).
All I can say for that is that it just means you haven't really seen death and suffering.
kyp275 is offline   Reply With Quote