View Single Post
Old 2012-06-16, 15:58   Link #16
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

As I had feared, this episode was incredibly rushed. At least 15 extra minutes would have been needed to cover everything properly.

Saber's fight against Berserker was completely butchered. Lancelot's backstory was entirely left out and they did not even begin to attempt to explain why he hated Saber. Even his dying speech was cut out, geez.

Kotomine and Kiritsugu's battle, on the other hand, did not disappoint one bit. Kotomine was overwhelming. He could even keep up with Kiri's triple acceleration. If not for Avalon enabling him to go beyond his limits (and saving him from a mortal blow), Kiritsugu would have undoubtedly lost. And even then, he only won because he woke up first. He was no match for him. What a monster Kotomine was!

The scene inside the grail was very well directed. I liked the sudden changes in scenery. My only complaint is that I'm not sure the anime properly conveyed how horrifying the answer the Grail had reached thanks to Kiritsugu was. In the LN, Kiritsugu's trial continued (120 against 80, 80 against 40, etc...) until there were only five person left: his father, Natalia, Maiya, his wife, and his daughter. He was once again forced to choose whether to save two or three of them and decided to kill his father and Natalia (the anime made it look like he killed them "accident", this is what bothered me and changed the meaning of the scene). Three people left. He had to save one or save two. He chose to kill Maiya. And thus, two remained. Two lives of equal values. He did not have to choose anymore. He could finally be at peace. This is the solution the Grail offered him: kill the whole population save for two people. This is the answer Kiritsugu refused. He once again sacrificed two... to save 6 billions.

To Grail-kun, world peace = killing 6 billion people.