View Single Post
Old 2013-08-25, 10:21   Link #32905
DokEnkephalin

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
You realize he has Battler imply the same thing about Knox's rules before reverting his opinion on them in EP5 though, so this hardly means anything. EP8 has Will using them fine with no irony or disillusionment. It's more likely it ties in to Ryukishi's weird, pseudo-Death of the Author point.
I couldn't help noticing that soon after Battler began applying the commandments as given in Red, he hit upon the Golden Truth. Accepting the Decalogue gave him a foothold for reasoning rather than excuses not to. Meanwhile, Will delivers less than a handful of Van Dine's rules -- the Law of Conservation of Detail was never given in Red, but do you believe there's no reason for that particular selection, no reason the rest were completely dismissed? And in EP8, Will does give a wry admission to Knox's critique of the rules he cites.

I'm not making any unsupported suppositions here. If you have anything of substance regarding a 'Death of the Author' statement, you can demonstrate it to someone who cares, because I can't find that in any way relevant to solving the mysteries.
DokEnkephalin is offline   Reply With Quote