View Single Post
Old 2012-01-29, 02:49   Link #1
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Limited Forums and New Thread Restriction - Why?

I can't believe that I'm the first person to ask about this, but a search didn't turn any previous threads up.

It's been a few years since I used AnimeSuki for anime discussion (ironically). Lately I've been getting back to it, but the series subforums feel... sterile. Each one follows a similar pattern, having threads for each episode, major characters, music, the manga (if applicable), and so on. I can't help but feel that unlimited thread creation would make some of these subforums feel more lively, and perhaps that they'd get more activity.

Full disclosure: I'm strictly doing older series. Episode discussion threads are pretty much only applicable when the episodes are fresh. I also wouldn't expect the forums to be bursting with activity even if there were no thread restrictions. However, it seems as if many of the threads in those forums are only applicable when the series is fairly new, and then activity overall peters out. People have an aversion to jumping into long, established threads. Furthermore, the time span between posts in those threads becomes lengthy, to the point where no conversation is really going on - people either reply to much older posts and don't receive a reply, or they just drop their post and don't return.

I'm not requesting that this be changed, but I'm curious as to why such a regulation was put in place. For very popular series (particularly those that attract a lot of younger members), I can understand that the restrictions cut down on what would probably amount to spam and dozens of repeat posts. But for lower-traffic series, or series that are past their prime, what's the purpose?