View Single Post
Old 2013-06-04, 16:22   Link #180
SoldierOfDarkness
The Dark Knight

Location: From the deepest abyss in the world, where you think?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
Not surprising.

Deng after all opened the doors to foreign investment and a lot of people weren't happy about it. They were afraid it'd be a repeat of the era where China was raped left and right by foreign powers.

So yeah Deng had a lot of conservatives he had to purge in order to push it through.

Was it worth it?

Well the West now makes evil bedtime stories about the evil Chinese and how they're taking over the world so I would say yes.

Quote:
It still effects the world view of modern China. An event that still hasn't been forgotten...even if it is not wholly remembered.
As long as the US wants to keep it there they'll keep it there and the media will do whatever the US tells them to do.

Yet at the same time we got massacres happening elsewhere and nobody even bothers to say a word about it.

I spent some time in China and every now and then there are protests but generally speaking nothing out of the ordinary happens. I have friends who work overseas or are currently living in China and life is still the same...except for Twitter and Facebook though with all the crap that's out there I think that's a blessing in disguise.
SoldierOfDarkness is offline   Reply With Quote