View Single Post
Old 2010-07-08, 01:40   Link #2526
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ending View Post
Still atheist and probably always will be, because I seriously doubt anyone can come up with a reasonable explanation to a very practical question, which I have been thinking, since I will be travelling to developing country soon.

The question is: there is malaria, which kills hundreds of thousands of people every year (hopefully I won't get infected). Why does it exist? If there is a god or gods, are they not benevolent? If not, I wouldn't worship them. If yes, are they not omnipotent?
If yes => Not benevolent.
If no => Why worship him?
Polytheistic religion, in general, isn't really interested in such questions. The approach to worship, as a whole, tends to be more transactional — people give offerings to deities in hope of getting something in return. Perfection tends not expected from the gods in such worldviews — it tends to be more of an obsession for absolutist, monotheistic religion.

So, depending on which country you're visiting, I hope you'd approach its culture with an open mind. Nothing wrong with being a doubter, but do show respect for different worldviews, even if they happen to be "religious". Religion, after all, doesn't even have to involve worshipping gods.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote