View Single Post
Old 2011-10-01, 15:15   Link #106
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Canaan was an "okay" sequel to the Type-Moon novel 428 and it was better than anything DEEN has adapted Type-Moon wise (oh the pain of the Unlimited Blade Works movie). Not saying it was great though, which is much like I view HSI.
I didn't like Fate/Stay Night, but Canaan wasn't any better. It might be even worse because the ideas behind the premise had some potential. But then we found out what the show was about. Ugh!

Quote:
I agree with Hourou Musuko being an excellent adaptation, though I'm not sure how much credit should be given to Okada for that. Would say more credit should be given to Ei Aoki (director) and Takako Shimura (original mangaka) imo.
It's quite obvious that all three deserve a share of the credit. As the series composer, Okada's share is fairly apparant - she got to choose what scenes and sequences to adapt and where to place them. It's no mean feat considering that they had to take the middle portion of a story and tell it coherently with only 11 episodes to work with. If that job wasn't performed properly, the show would have been a lot weaker than it was. In comparison, a manga like Usagi Drop is far easier to adapt.

Quote:
Which ranged from medicore to good, with 3 being utter garbage. Seriously though, I was massively disappointed that the approach taken from the first two episodes were pretty much ignored. What the opening two episodes portrayed to me was a coming of age story, where Ohana would initially go through hardship trying to fit after being "dumped" by her own mother but then eventually win over Sui, who is an "old-school, asian grandmother". What did we get instead? Typical anime light comedy and shenanigans with some of the most fail and pathetic male character cast I've seen.
Story elements can be typical and still well done at the same time. Hanairo was hardly stellar in all areas, but it still did very well within the playground it chose to stay inside. I'd have preferred if Hanairo was a heavy drama instead, but what I wanted should detract from what we got.

For the record, I liked episode 3 and I like the male cast as well - especially Ren and Enishi. There were only 4-5 weak-poor episodes in the whole run of the show, and that's not too bad a record for a 25-episode series.

Quote:
Good planning? Pulling off the mother, grandmother, daughter contrast very well? I think not. This show much like Ano Hana started off using a hybrid approach using J-drama/K-drama elements with anime, but unlike Ano Hana, didn't follow through.
I'm not sure what you mean by a hybrid approach, but I think that any show that can execute its themes well and provide a good wrap-up is deserving of praise.

Quote:
It is somewhat of a good thing Okada is willing to try different things, but I wish production studios would stop "hiring" her for everything. Okada is at her best with her dialogue and subtlety and "relationship trolling" elements. She's at her worst when it comes to trying to make or adapt anything outside the "slice of life" genre.
Okada's best work to date is Hourou Musuko, and it's a drama, not a slice of life show. For that matter, Hanairo isn't a slice of life show either.