View Single Post
Old 2009-08-28, 22:29   Link #36
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
I mentioned this over on the Koizumi thread, but I think it bears repeating here since it applies to Haruhi as well... Koizumi is really hurting her emotional maturing, I think, by always going out of his way to ensure that she never loses (as he did through his talks with Kyon during the baseball game and in Sagittarius III).

Honestly, I think that Haruhi would probably, over the long term, benefit from losing at a competition that she genuinely cared about.

Losing, every now and then, can build character. It can make a person more hardy, and more accepting of the idea that they can't always have their way.
Koizumi reminds of a type of morality I hate. Basically it is like people follow laws solely out of fear of being punished. You usually have people like that explaining that murder is wrong because it's illegal. Everything he does is because he is afraid Haruhi will destroy the world. It is all as fake as his smile. But of course, I can't blame him so much, because I don't think he wants to be here and the destruction of the universe is a priority.

It's true of all 3 factions to some degree. They all want to play it safe and throw responsibility at someone else , but it can't last like that.

Quote:
Here is where I feel compelled to disagree with you. Watching Sighs come to life in an animated way, I find it impossible to see how Haruhi could actually think that Mikuru is enjoying this. It's patently obvious that Mikuru is suffering through it all.

Haruhi just doesn't care. It's not that she's deluding herself into thinking that everybody is enjoying it; it's that she's never really taken the time to put her feet in another person's shoes, so she doesn't even stop to consider what this all feels like for Mikuru.

It's not maliciousness... but it's not self-delusion either. It's pure apathy/obliviousness.
Hmm, haven't watched the latest episode yet, so that may change my opinion. I really do believe that one would become extremely delusional with a very warped sense of reality in her position. Not that it justifies anything she's done though.

But yea, she hasn't considered how others feel at all. She simply doesn't comprehend the need for morality. Apathy and obliviousness might just be the better words for her case.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews