Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-10-27, 13:59   Link #4498
Shadow Kira01

Japanese hope Obama will visit A-bomb cities soon

Quote:
Sunao Tsuboi, an 84-year-old who survived the Hiroshima bombing despite severe burns, is part of a growing chorus of survivors, student groups and newspaper editorials urging Obama to come.

"Obama has a vision for humanity. ... We want to show him our support," said Tsuboi, who has campaigned for the elimination of nuclear weapons and is co-chair of a nationwide organization for atomic bomb survivors.

"I'm a victim, and I've overcome," he said. "We want to join with President Obama to create a peaceful world."

Obama has not suggested he would make a visit, but stoked Japanese hopes with an April speech in Prague calling for a world free of nuclear weapons. Winning the Nobel Peace Prize earlier this month further heightened expectations.

"Many of the past Nobel Peace laureates have visited ground zero," the Hiroshima-based Chugoku newspaper said in an editorial. "We urge him to go and see the place himself and renew his commitment to a nuclear-free world."
Considering that all Obama has to do is go and pray at a Peace Memorial, I really don't understand why the guy refuses.

Defense chief hints at accepting Futemma relocation in Okinawa

Quote:
Kitazawa was chided by his fellow Cabinet members later in the day over his remarks, exposing disarray within the new government.

Foreign Minister Katsuya Okada, who personally advocates transferring the Futemma base to the nearby U.S. Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, said Kitazawa's claim is ''almost illogical'' because the DPJ called for changing the bilateral pact that had already been agreed upon.
Quote:
Okinawa Gov. Hirokazu Nakaima criticized Kitazawa for making a judgment on the Futemma relocation ''so quickly, without serious considerations.'' He urged Cabinet ministers to squarely address the issue for a considerable time.
A little pressure from the United States and the Defense Chief decides to back down instantly. Quite unbelievable.. Speaking of which, Kitazawa's claim is totally illogical.

Former US President George W Bush Debuts as Motivational Speaker

Quote:
Mr. Bush, who experienced wild swings in approval ratings during his two presidential terms, told the crowd that popularity is fleeting and "not real." He encouraged them to stick by their principles, noting he stands by the decisions he made while in office.
I wonder if Bush meant the popularity of the Obama Administration. Right during its launch time, the Obama Administration enjoyed a high approval rate in the 70% or 80% range but it went downhill after a variety of issues.

Last edited by Shadow Kira01; 2009-10-27 at 14:27.