View Single Post
Old 2011-02-04, 01:20   Link #117
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentar View Post
Well, it all depends on how to judge the act of contracting a new MG.

If you believe that doing so is a wonderful act of enlisting another savior of the people in the name of all that's good and holy (Stop cackling, Kyoko!), then he's merely a great and relentless recruiter with unconventional methods.

If you believe that becoming a MG is a curse and latent death sentence, he's nothing more than an evil and vicious drug dealer trying to ensnare unsuspecting little girls.
I think that you're raising two extremes here, neither of which are entirely accurate.

Let's say that your country is fighting a defensive war against a harsh, aggressive, invading force, one that is likely to be a brutal oppressor of the people of your country if you don't stop them.

Now, the odds of completely overcoming that invader are very slim, but with enough manpower on the front-lines, your nation can probably keep the invader at bay indefinitely, keeping a large number of people deep into the middle and northern portions of your country safe from the invaders. However, signing up to fight against the invaders means that there's a 90% (or even higher) chance that you will die in the war.

Now, under such circumstances, what does one make of those trying to recruit people to fight against the invading force?

Yes, they're quite literally sending people to their graves.

On the other hand, they're protecting a much larger number of people by doing so.

It's morally gray, in my opinion, and I think that it's comparable to what we see in this anime. At the very least, the recruiter has understandable motives here.

From what we know so far (this could change of course), Kyubey is a lot like this military recruiter.

I'm not necessarily pro-Kyubey, but I have my doubts that he's the villain that a lot of posters think that he is.