View Single Post
Old 2004-10-28, 14:57   Link #4
rcxAsh
Do you Gentoo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLB
Damn you. The U of T mandarin classes force us to learn simplified. Your location says GTA, assuming that's not the game, where in the greater toronto area are you learning it?
And, heh, I haven't tried writing Mandarin on the computer yet. I don't even know how to use the pinyin properly yet. There should be a way to configure the IMEs to show traditional first though. Try changing the location to Taiwan, possibly?
I'm taking private lessons, not with a university or school. AFAIK, since China now uses simplified Chinese, most places would teach that (they do, don't they?).

Yah, there is a configuration dialogue.. but the problem is that my Chinese knowledge is no where near enough to understand the dialogs...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliganj
Microsoft has free asian language IMEs for Office XP that take romanized input, for Japanese, Korean, Simplified Chinese or Traditional Chinese. Just go to this page and follow the directions. It might not work with every program you want to use, but I've found that you can always open up a Wordpad session, type what you need, and then cut & paste it into the appropriate window.
That's true I suppose.. but that's kind of akward... And the main problem is that I don't have Office XP. Office 2000... But if at all possible, I'd rather not have to have Microsoft Word open all the time.....

Also, no ideas for SCIM in Linux?

Hmm, if I post some screenshots of the configuration screens, I wonder if sarcasteak's free translation thread would translate it for me haha
rcxAsh is offline   Reply With Quote