View Single Post
Old 2011-06-29, 11:15   Link #125
Chiibi
Vanitas owns you >:3

Send a message via AIM to Chiibi Send a message via MSN to Chiibi
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
I can't name anything off the top of my head(I block bad shojo from my memory ), but if you have a female character who's continuously being controlled by a guy, and she's way inferior to the guy, and she just ends out doing what she wants, she stops driving the plot as much.
This true, however I don't engage in such series because I don't like overly-controlling guys like that.

Quote:
He seems too perfect to my mind.
Sir, if he was "perfect", I wouldn't love him as much as I do. I hate perfect characters. Every well-written character needs strengths and faults and they should be balanced. I'm more aware of that than anyone.

Quote:
From what you describe he never did anything seriously wrong, and was just screwed over by fate.
Define "seriously" wrong. If you mean "committ a crime" or "be abusive" or something like that, no, but there are plenty of real humans who haven't done that, myself included. If you're talking about the regular mistakes everyone makes, like lying, breaking rules, hurting people's feelings, misunderstandings, and taking a bad attitude out on someone unfairly, then yes, he's done all of that.

Quote:
He may originally have been an orphan, but he's still rich and famous now isn't he?
Very briefly, for about two or three years. In the afterlife, he's just a low-ranked shinigami who can just do magic tricks and he doesn't even remember his past til about six episodes before the ending of the series.

Quote:
Far too many shoujo mangaka don't know the difference between a troubled and/or tsundere guy with a genuinely good heart (Chiaki moe~) and a jerk who is occasionally nice (disturbing abusive relationship vibe).
That is very true. And it seems more common with smuttier shoujo aimed at an older demographic. *sighs*
Calling the girl "baka" and stomping away mad is one thing. Forcing ecchi/sex on her, or hitting her or constantly putting her down is a serious NO-NO. There's nothing "cute" about that kind of behavior.

Sho from Skip Beat is someone I regard as a "true jerk". And I was very glad that Kyoko saw that and more or less said, "F*CK YOU" to him.

Last edited by Chiibi; 2011-06-29 at 11:39.
Chiibi is offline   Reply With Quote