Thread: Licensed K (Anime project)
View Single Post
Old 2012-10-06, 18:11   Link #511
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post

To be honest I still don't quite understand the problem... :/ This was a very standard, very typically anime style in medias res opening act.
With the possible exception of Ga-Rei Zero, I can't think of another anime episode that had a start like this one. You say it's "very standard, very anime". Very well then. If you're right, it should be easy for you to list at least 10 other anime shows that have a first episode like K's. I'd be interested in seeing such a list.

Quote:
I'm sure there are people who don't like this kind of storytelling, and prefer to know as much as possible at any given point. But there are other ways of storytelling which are also perfectly valid.
That's debatable. Are you familiar with Kurt Vonnegut's Eight Rules for a Short Story?

I do think there are certain "best practices" when it comes to good writing. Now there are exceptions, and K might be one, but I do think it's generally best to give viewers a reason to care about a main character right from the very first episode.

Quote:
Now, I'm not a "fan" but I'm enjoying this show so far (that single episode of it XD) despite its failings, so here's what I know about Yashiro: he's friendly guy...
On what basis do you call him friendly? Who exactly was he friendly to?

Quote:
who likes to be on good terms with people and as such is popular with his schoolmates.
What makes you think he wants to be on good terms with people and is popular with his school mates? Actually, he comes off as a bit of a loner to me.

Quote:
which may or may not stem from his past as Psycho King, but in any case he seems to avoid getting close to anyone on purpose (re: after mooching food from everyone he goes and eats his lunch alone). His harmless and affable personality seems to be a front, not fully, but to some some degree, behind which he probably hides a token Angsty Past and mental scars. He's the sort of character that has immense powers, but doesn't use them because he doesn't want to hurt anyone, "anymore" is also pretty likely. (As for the whole Psycho King thing, we will learn more about that in the following episodes so anything about that would be speculation.)

Clichéd? You bet.
No, cliched isn't the right term for it. "Largely speculative" is a better term for it. Almost everything you wrote about Shiro is based on your expectation that this anime will prove to be extremely trope-esque.

And it may well end up being extremely trope-esque, but we don't know that. So it's not something that a viewer can truly latch on to, imo.

What do we truly, definitely know about this male lead?

I'll grant you seemingly harmless and affable. But there's very little beyond that, imo.