Originally Posted by jjblue1 View Post
Well, considering that Yasu is:
Beatrice (elder, younger and first)
Shannon
Kanon
TMF19YA
Kinzo's grandaughter
Kinzo's daughter
Kuwadorian Beato's daughter (yes, I separed her various family relations, if you feel like counting them as one suit yourself)
Clair
and I won't go into her assorted roles (hidden family head, culprit, maker of the assorted magical creatures and gameboards, writer of the message bottles, each cousin's love interest, supporter of the Beato's cult) and the fact it's unsure if she's a she or a he...

... well, I wouldn't be surprised if she were to be also Ikuko. I guess I wouldn't be surprised not even if it turned out actually she's Okonogi in disguise...

Also GreyZone has a point. She showed up too late and yet she was sort of important and part of the solution about how we never heard of Battler.

We could have guessed Battler managed to escape and have amnesia or was hiding and even that he was writing books about Rokkenjima but to figure out he'd been helped by a random rich stranger that kept the fact she found him hidden and is willing to pay a doctor to have his silence... well, that's too random and too uncommon for us to guess... and reminds me of what Kinzo did with Bice Castiglioni.

In short as far as I'm involved if Ikuko is Yasu it's probably lame (and either she lied to Tohya or most of the backstory we learnt is a lie Tohya told us) but it makes more sense than having her as a random stranger.
1. I should've been clearer - when I say "icky", I don't mean the incest stuff, which I'm pretty neutral about, really. I just find Ikuko=Yasu a heinously unlikable person, and the relationship with Tohya irredeemably creepy.

2. Okonogi is actually Yasu.
Amakusa is actually Yasu.
Kasumi is also actually Yasu.
Ange never witnesses any of them at the same time, right? Kihihihihi..!!

But no seriously I would literally prefer that TOHYA was somehow actually Yasu, with Ikuko still being a random stranger.

3. I'm sure I've mentioned this opinion on the subject before, but I just didn't see any reason to doubt Ikuko's narrative, as it was given. To say nothing of the logistical leaps of faith Ikuko=Yasu would require. I also wouldn't compare Ikuko to Shannon / Kanon / Gaap / Clair etc., because all of those selves are literally based in/on Rokkenjima, and we're told more than once that for Yasu, Rokkenjima was pretty much the entire world. Ikuko, on the other hand, is completely unrelated save for living (apparently) somewhere nearby. She has past misadventures, and siblings, and employees. Hell, when did Yasu learn to drive, even?

To go further, I kinda like the idea of Ikuko=Random because it reinforces this idea that uh, how to phrase this ... "real life is not fiction". Or rather, sometimes, stuff just happens. Completely inexplicable stuff. And Tohya's / Ikuko's narrative is occurring in (by a somewhat generous assumption, I admit) the realiest level of real Umineko is probably going to give. Though, as Renall has already stated, she's really only necessary because of lol Amnesia™, which is pretty bull-shitty on Ryukishi's part to begin with.

Of course, I'll have to accept any clarification that's given when the manga reaches that point, but maaaaan, I would totes declare Ikuko=Yasu the villain of the entire series.
Kealym is offline   Reply With Quote