Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Space Battleship Yamato 2199 (movie & TV)
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-26, 00:27   Link #1492
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well it will be a month or more (depending on if money is available) before I can check that out.

On another forum (which I don't want to join just to make a single comment even if it on this show as I've done that too much already). The discussion of the 18th Yamato from Yamato 2520 came up.

While I don't particularly care for this vessel (in fact I like the lines of the 17th Yamato featured in the flashbacks much better), I would observe that the main gun turrets can independently elevate so as to provide much greater weapons coverage. So say the enemy is entire on the port side of the vessel. If the ship has regular mounts, only the port side batteries could engage, but 18th Yamato and likely any other Earth ship with this turret configuration (including Blue Noah in the 2009 Resurrection movie) can raise the starboard side batteries so they clear the tops of the port side batteries and engage the enemy with all the guns.

I believe that 18th Yamato gave an example of this by firing all four forward main batteries together at an enemy fleet, which gave the effect of a 2199 era Wave Motion Gun in terms of devistation, at least within a path of destruction in the enemy fleet.

I imagine that if Blue Noah in the Resurrection film, had had time and was not surrounded from the start, it might have provided a similar accounting of itself at the start of that film. It still has an impressive amount of firepower, but was unable to use its full force in the battle. Perhaps if the second film gets made, we might see its sister ship (Blue Earth) give a better accounting for itself.

Blue Noah's more traditional cannon barrels and altered design for the Resurrection film make it looks somewhat better than its brief appearance in Yamato 2520.