View Single Post
Old 2013-03-10, 15:58   Link #64
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirarakim View Post
I agree that Urobuchi doesn't just use "death" to shock the audience. The fact that the audience was shocked at Mami's death was more because of the genre, but Urobuchi's deaths are not just pointless and do move the story in important ways.

However I wouldn't say that Urobuchi never relies on shock value (although perhaps this is more the director's fault not Urobuchi).

For example some of the violent scenes in Psycho Pass (especially during the riots) were a bit too much for me. I didn't really like how the rape scene was done in the first episode either.

And in Fate Zero the scene with Rin's mom and Kariya I felt was also over the top.

I just felt some of those scenes were a bit much!
I don't think he embellishes death scenes (you know, in that ridiculously gorey Another or Blood+ way) but he's very blunt and "real" with his death scenes.

That was my main takeaway from Mami's death scene. That death is going to be very realistic in a Gen work, and you may well not get the cliche bit where the fallen hero gets to voice some final words to his or her comrades.

Of course, this could make his deaths more disturbing for some. Some probably laugh off Another and Blood+ because it's so insanely over-the-top. You can't really do that with a Gen death, imo.