Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Free!
View Single Post
Old 2013-07-20, 10:31   Link #879
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blonto View Post
I don't think you can compare Haruka to harem leads, since Free isn't a harem. Free is slice of life and sports and those genres tend to put little emphasis on romance, often not having any all.
I'm not saying that Haruka is comparable to harem leads. In fact, I'm saying quite the contrary. I'm saying that he's very different from harem leads, and that might be why the writer of this show had to use a heroine template in order to write him.

Male harem leads (or characters closely approximating them) are far more common in anime today that male leads in slice of life/sports anime (largely since sports anime is in decline). That's the issue here.

Quote:
He is passive from a storytelling point of view. Pretty much the only drive you would expect from him, the competitive drive, is dead (in the water, harharhar).
That's just flatout inaccurate. He does have a drive to swim, as much as possible. That is very clear in Episode 3. You dangle year-round swimming around his nose and its like dangling a fresh piece of meat around a dog's nose. Once that possibility was there, Haruka became just as gung-ho as anybody else in the swimming club.

That's hardly "wanting the status quo" at all, as the status quo would mean not getting to swim year-round.

In any event, Blonto, if you're going to nitpick my speculative explanations this much, then why don't you put out your ideas as to what the writer meant by saying it was easier to write Haruka as a heroine?