View Single Post
Old 2007-10-15, 11:07   Link #219
Shounen
Away for good

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpwong View Post
Would people really use a new codec for anime releases if it made the filesize twice as big for the same quality? It would have to feature something pretty spiffy to make up for that type of inefficiency.
Correct. But this is were the whole idea fails....

Some still tend to hug these sizes 170-179mb or 222-233mb etc. That's the problem. Why can't they just encode until they see that it fits their "needs"? That's what QC also was about but got quicly dropped due to people still didnt have that "fast" CPU back then and time. I still hug my P4 it does it's job but it's just for a server now were it works minimally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino
Since when was h264 still beta? Would it be a "beta" if companies were widely using it for their products? I doubt it, it'd be like "Here's the beta of some antibiotics" and would be widely in production (God knows what it could do to some fragile human body. Even better, why not make it alpha?). That would never happen. Only what gets throughly tested goes forward to be used in mass production.
Because H264 is Open Source!. It does it's job way better than XviD if you don't play along with Avs and probably use your own encoder (mencoder anyone?) instead of <insert your favorite command line encoder here>. Remember, were playing with with TV Streams or similar sources. Companies have their "source". They can almost always get a better result than just using XviD, if they use any profiles, even better!

And remember, they play with lossless sources and we don't, we play along with a cappers source, unless he releases a .TS rip.

Again just cuz some (if not alot) stash their stuff on CD/DVDs it doesn't mean that you should still hug to this "US standardization". Yes you heard me, and they still release 700mb Movies and it's 2007... almost 2008... 1 tb harddrives costs less than 200 gb hardrives if you look back at 2002 were 1Tb didn't even exist officially... People have copied this and I know that it's here in Europe aswell, Some parts of Asia does it also, But why can't you just leave the CD/DVD era? Fansubs can always be found once more. And If you only watch them once why stash them? If you plan to buy the R1 ugly as hell DVDs then it would be pointless.. But then again stashing them on a harddrives would be the same except that it was the general idea to watch them from your hardrive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino
You're not making sense here... :V
If you didn't know.... You can also encode h264 into lossless.

Now it's up to you on what to do. Copy what others have done, or move forward.

Open source beats hacked/closed Source!
Shounen is offline   Reply With Quote