View Single Post
Old 2007-08-08, 10:47   Link #113
Jinto
Asuki-tan Kairin ↓

The most common fault with RAMs is bit flipping. That means that certain operations in certain address spaces cause single or multiple bits to be flipped (1->0 or 0->1).
This can be due to faulty memory cells.
Less often RAM will be that bad, that it actually doesn't store at all in large address spaces (or is not addressable at all).

Both memtests address the bit flipping problem carefully enough, so there is no need to worry which test is better. If both of them work with your system, then you can consider your system's RAM deeply checked with both versions (memtest86 and memtest86+). Afaik the test pattern of even the older memtest versions was already well suited to find most of the buggers. Of course the test will always lack lifeness (means it doesn't operate like in a real life scenario).

Regarding your question of file transfers using bad RAMs. Consider it to be very bad, when your data passes those faulty memory regions (which you will not notice in operation). The data that is to be transfered is always buffered in the RAM.

That was the initial reason for me to make you check your PC with memtest before doing your file reconfiguration on the drives (At this point I was convinced you actually did run the memtest because of the video you sent me... seems like this assumption wasn't right?)