Thread: Licensed Rosario to Vampire
View Single Post
Old 2008-05-19, 13:37   Link #1993
rg4619

Quote:
A mate of mine bought the first DVD, but has already said he wouldn't be buying the others, and he's not alone, others i talked to have said similar things.

You need to balance customers and fans, and realise that the two are interchangable. If you don't, then you shouldn't be selling stuff period
We'll have to see how sales drop off, both for this season and the next.

However, in most cases, sales of "100% hated" shows tend to get stifled from the start rather than mid-series. After all, the broadcast serves as a preview screening for consumers (come purchase time, it filters out most people who hate the show, even for popular IP). This probably killed Kimikiss pure rouge and affected Minami-ke Okawari.

Looking at DVD numbers, some butchered/T&A adaptations still manage to do okay. Rosario to Vampire and Zero no Tsukaima II both sold well and received positive feedback on Amazon, so some buyers must be pleased. They might've sold better had the producers tried, but with low production costs and reasonably satisfied customers, the outcome might be good enough for studios.

Quote:
I hope is DOESN'T sell, maybe then they will get the message: STOP BUTCHERING GOOD MANGA DAMNIT!!!!
I agree. Sadly, the market just doesn't work the way we want it to. Mediocrity can be rewarded (popular IP + cheap production + over-the-top fan service. There's apparently enough demand for that, no matter how many people complain), while quality efforts can go to waste.
rg4619 is offline   Reply With Quote