View Single Post
Old 2011-09-20, 19:18   Link #301
Key Board
Carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
If you aproach it as a pure stealth game, yes. But Deus Ex isn't a pure stealth game. It's a "chose what you want to do" game. You can go in a possible hostile base sneaking, or you can go in guns blazing. You can knock out all the guards, or just sneak by them, hack a terminal and tell the local turrets and bots to open fire. Or you can leave them alone. Sometimes you can even talk a guard or boss into giving you access to the base.

In Deus Ex, the question is never "is [insert playstyle] as good as others in the genre?" but "can I do it?" It's a game of choice. A jack of all trades. And with being a jack of all trades comes the natural downside that its also a master of none.
well.. It feels to me that the options presented aren't polished enough. I feel that it doesn't really reward experimentation. And there's really only two play styles. Either you avoid a fight, or you fight through it. And the game encourages you to not get into an open fight.

When it comes to multiple options to finish an assignment, I was hoping something like the Hitman series if it were a stealth game or something like Vampire the Masquerade if it were an RPG. This game was neither.

I also don't like that the only way you can physically interact with the environment is to move crates and boxes. Is that arm just for show? why can't I break through a door? how about turning off the electricity and using my aug vision to get a sneak at the enemy? It could have been so much more, but it's not there yet.

It could learn a lot from the Metal Gear Solid series. Speaking of which.. the boss battles.. they need a lot of work
"Legitimacy is based on three things. First of all, the people who are asked to obey authority have to feel like they have a voice—that if they speak up, they will be heard. Second, the law has to be predictable. There has to be a reasonable expectation that the rules tomorrow are going to be roughly the same as the rules today. And third, the authority has to be fair. It can’t treat one group differently from another.” Malcolm Gladwell
Key Board is offline   Reply With Quote