View Single Post
Old 2007-06-13, 14:00   Link #856
Zero1
Two bit encoder
*Fansubber

Sky HD test:
No issues whatsoever. Also thanks for the test card. I played this on both my Samsung 1100DF 21" CRT monitor and my Panasonic TX-28-DK1 TV (nothing special, just a decent CRT TV) and by God, the colour is infinitely better on the TV. I could not believe it.

PremHD test:
Plays fine until the guy in white runs up the stairs; which is strange because the file hovers around 20mbps (which is said to be the limit for level 4) so it's playing on the margins. Not wanting to make excuses or get peoples hopes up, but when playing it over wireless LAN, it stuttered sooner, and I know that USB drive these are on is slow and fragged, so a decent drive may see better performance.

VC1 BD Remux to TS test:
Slows down at 8 seconds just as the woman is about to speak, at which point it peaks at 23mbps, so technically they aren't breaking any promises. Though if they say it handles 20mbps H.264, you would have thought VC-1 could have had higher bitrates, unless it's simply throughput related rather than load on CPU due to amount of data to decode.

MPEG2 BD (v. high bitrate) Remux to TS test:
Low framerates from the word go. Though I hate to admit it, I get better framerates on the KiSS 1600 than I do with this TL-60 decoding with FFDShow. Either method is not particularly watchable though. Also not impressed with the quality. Quant's are 2-4, and I see temporal blotching what with this grain and the fact that the luma level and quantizers are not consistant between frames. I also thought I saw some banding, but nothing conclusive. They obviously didn't get the memo about H.264.

AVC BD Remux to TS test:
At first, no video. I decided to seek seeing as it was such a lage file and then it sort of went back to the beginning of the video and started seeking from there, and then I got video. Weird behaviour, never had that before. Possibly muxing madness given the filename? Haali's splitter reports the max bitrate as 45mbps, so no joy with that one.

Unfortunately, despite having much the same features decoding wise as a Bluray or HD-DVD player, the chipset doesn't quite have enough grunt to play these (admittedly demanding) files. If you was looking into this player to play your HD stream rips or Bluray/HD-DVD demuxes, then I would wait a while until you find a player using the Sigma SMP8630 series, which is much the same as this chipset, just it has more sheer power.

From a quick look on their site, they say it supports 1080p60, which other variables permitting, would make the chipset level 4.2 capable. If you want to "future proofing" (as much as can be with how things change so fast), this is the one. If you only want to watch fansubs, AMVs, downloaded stuff or whatever for maybe 2 or 3 years, the KiSS 1600 will serve you well, and quite possibly beyond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino View Post
And the Reborn one has pretty pretty crazy settings, 14 reference frames, I think that 12 b-frames. Oh, did the seeking work fine by the way on that one?

/me remebers messing with the --keyint and --min-keyint setting
Yeah, no problems at all. It's very happy at 4x seek, it basically plays the file 4x speed not missing a frame. When you go to 8x, it shows you frames at regular intervals (probably 2 or 3 per second) which are most likely keyframes (similar to how some players seek in MP3 files, little bursts at intervals rather than playing it super fast).

Last edited by Zero1; 2007-06-13 at 14:17.
Zero1 is offline   Reply With Quote