View Single Post
Old 2010-01-01, 02:41   Link #849
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Quote:
As for the formulaic stance, essentially anything is formulaic with the 36 possible plot twists argument. But ultimately it's the combination of characters within a story that defines a series. I liked the Code Geass mix, you liked the TTGL mix. End of story.
It's a bit more complex than that. TTGL doesn't shine because of the storyline or because of the characters. TTGL shines, in my view, because of how honest it is about its intentions. It cares jack shit about surprising you and it puts all its effort into ridiculously exaggerating the average epic coming of age mecha series. It is, in a way, the exact opposite of Evangelion (even though it's not nearly as good as that series).

Code Geass, on the other side, tries way too hard to do everything, to cater to every demographic. It wants to be Evangelion. It wants to be Gundam. It wants to be a fanservice show. It wants to have a contrived storyline that's supposed to surprise you and make you think (lol). And in the process it utterly fails at everything. Perhaps the only thing I liked about the entire series was the final episode, probably because they couldn't use a pointless cliffhanger to keep the tension (like they did throughout the whole series).

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.