View Single Post
Old 2008-08-14, 15:41   Link #97
wide12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourboss View Post
If the Chinese have to make a statement requesting an apology, then the apology is inherently devalued as it was not made on the Spaniards' own initiative. And this looks bad in the international community and in Spain itself - if China requests an apology and Spain makes one, it would seem as if Spain is bending to the will of China. If Spain refuses, then the people of China would feel that they are being slighted even as they graciously host the Olympics. This is a lose-lose situation.

The best course of action is for the Spaniards to wise up and make an apology before this drags on any further.
But why would they make an apology if no one has been ofended? Do you know who brought this thing up? It was the english newspapers. Not the chinese ones.
And, from what I've read/seen, the chinese representatives didn't seem offended by this. But if they ARE , and they claim an apologize, this should be done. I think it's common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yourboss View Post
I'm interested in how you define racism. Racism has its roots in thoughtlessness and stupidity and ignorance. You may even say that bad taste contributes to it.
Where does one draw the line?

For me, (from my point of view), racism is when you attack/insult another person just because he is a foreigner, black, indian... It is a difficult matter, because if you, for example, have a car accident, and the one who caused it is a black person, you'd scream out of anger " ******* nigga" . Is that racism? It could very well be...but, if it was an obese person, the scream would be " ******* fat".
Now if we change to a person with no remarkable traits, you'd say
"******* idiot".

So, how would you define racism?
wide12 is offline   Reply With Quote