View Single Post
Old 2015-03-22, 18:27   Link #391
Rev Okkin
Yorokobe, (Insert name)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westlo View Post
Of course the music in LOTR isn't bad, but it's not iconic (to you, and me) either otherwise you would remember it. A key to the success and status of John Williams is the amount of iconic themes he has pumped out as well as what he's actually worked on. Everyone knows star wars, imperial march, superman and raiders....
Like I said, iconic or memorability does not equal a composition's grade as a musical score. It only means that is memorable. Everyone remembers the blares of Inception, but that's it, blares.

Quote:
I don't care if it has no direct comparison, to me it's clearly a better song than anything Hideyuki put on the first ost. If I was told to combine the 51 tracks of F/Z OST 1 and UBW OST 1 and list them from best to worst it would be in the #1 spot period.
It has to be or else it's like comparing an apple to an orange. It's meaningless comparison because the two are far too different to merit anything of comparison.
And preference has nothing on how good a composition is done

Quote:
Oh I agree with that, still meaningless in the end, it's like comparing which NBA team has the better 12th man. Oh wait! one might be a point guard and the other a center so we can't do that Let me try again, it's like comparing third string point guards who might play a couple minutes a week between teams.
Then compare point guard against point guard and center against center. If the third string point guards play real well, then how many times they played have no impact on their ability.
Both Dark Glow and Secret Maneuvers are used in tense scenes with antagonists, both build tension and both have dark ambiance to layer on sound.
Secret Maneuvers literally only has an AB structure. It does not develop the motifs and musical themes well other than presenting it.
Dark Glow has a clear cut intro that sets the tone well without resorting to simple bass. Through a crescendo and a slowly increasing tempo in repetition, the musical theme is developed and appropriately segwayed into the final theme, reminiscent of the earlier theme but in the peak to round off the tension created and close off the composition. Could be better, but a more solid composition than Secret Maneuvers
#betteranimation #betterediting
Rev Okkin is offline   Reply With Quote